Friday, August 19, 2011

Our Blessed Mother

August 15/ The Feast of the Assumption of The Blessed Virgin Mary.

" From this day, all generations will call me blessed." [Luke 1: 39]

The Feast of the Asssumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary marks the day that the Blessed Virgin Mary rose, body and soul, to Heaven. To that point, the only other person who had risen, body and soul to Heaven, was Jesus.

The celebration of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin shows the remarkable degree to which Catholics revere Mary.

But why?

If you ask many Catholics about their fascination with Mary, you will get many answers. Some will undoubtedly speak of praying the Hail Mary. In particular, many older women will speak of how close they feel to Mary, and to God, when praying the Rosary.

I have always admired how easily Catholics recite the Hail Mary. It is a short prayer but not so easy to learn. The words are precise, but do not necessarily flow readily. Before I converted, a family member gave me a book of Catholic prayers. I immediately turned to the Hail Mary. Given that I later converted, the fact that this relative gave me a Catholic prayer book seemed prophetic.

As I was converting, my young son helped me to memorize this prayer honoring the mother of Jesus, who is the Blessed Mother of us all. I began to understand better how Mary is an integral part of the fabric of our faith.

But when I think of Mary, I think of a special moment that occurred several years ago. My husband and I waited 15 years to become parents. At a certain point, we had begun sadly accepting that we might never become parents. Then, one night I had a vivid dream.

I dreamed that I was holding a baby. I could feel the softness of the baby's skin against me. The baby's hair was fine and silky. I could even feel the baby's breath, and the weight of the baby against my hip.

When I awoke, I was shocked that there was no baby. It had all been a dream! Right away, I shook my husband awake. I told him that our baby "was coming", that we would not remain childless. My husband protested, "But it's just a dream! How do you know?" I replied, "I just know!"

And one month later, we received the news that we would indeed be parents. After our baby was born, I was stunned to see how, as our baby grew, he came to resemble the baby in the dream.

Many asked me how I could possibly have waited so long for the motherhood that I so desperately desired?  I replied, "Because I had faith!"

How will YOU let Mary into your life?

God, with you, nothing is impossible. I pray that, like Mary, I may have faith and believe.

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment