Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Gratitude is a Verb

" I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength."   [Philippians 4: 11-13.]

At the Vacation Bible School, where my son attended one summer, the children sang a song: "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! When you've got not a lot, when  you've got such a lot, WHAT?! Be happy!"

I think that in this earthly world, gratitude is in short supply.

Every day, we face a barrage of messages that, to be truly happy, we need to be living in extreme wealth. In the media, we see people living in extravagant mansions, with a fleet of expensive cars, dressing in luxurious clothes, in the company of only beautiful people. The clear message is that we can never be content with less.

Like St. Paul, I have been hungry and I have been well fed. I have lived in a childhood never secure that I would be fed dinner. I have lived on my own, and when I was just married, eating dinner from a can of tuna, or eating rice and beans, having only a few dollars in the bank until the next payday.

Yet, at times, I have lived in plenty, not having to worry about paying for expensive dental work, or the cost of a plane trip to attend to an ailing relative, or able to afford a little more vacation time for some much needed rest.

Either way, I was no more, and no less, content. My inner being was the same! Gratitude is being content, no matter what the situation.

To put things in perspective, the opposite of gratitude is not ingratitude or thanklessness. The opposite of gratitude is, my friends---- fear!

Because, if we have less, we grumble and complain. But what is really going on here is our profound feeling of loss.  The real issue is our fear that we will be alone and helpless.

The only true cure from this fear of loss --- is Faith!

Faith in God who loves us; and Faith that, in His Love, everything is going to be okay.

Our Faith is not merely a feeling, though. Our Faith is Love in action. In a strange and miraculous kind of alchemy, I am transforming my discontentment, my losses, my fears, into a burning fuel for Love in action.

I remember being cold, oh so cold as a child. If I asked for my sweater, I was told, 'Stop acting up.' Today, instead of wallowing in that cold feeling, I am knitting scarves and hats for the homeless shelter nearby.

I remember being hungry, and afraid of not finding enough food. Today, I donate non-perishables to my town food pantry.

I remember having difficulty breathing, with my chronic lung condition, that was not treated after age 14.  I remember thinking, I am coughing and gasping for breath, does anyone care? Today, I donate to Medic-Alert so that someone who cannot afford an emergency alert necklace can receive one.

When I was in college, I was told that if I did not study what I was directed to, tuition would be cut off. Today, I donate to the fund at my son's school so that more kids can get a great education.

I see now, more fully than ever, that Gratitude is a verb!  Whatever my past losses, I will not give into the complaining and the fear. I will battle the fear with consistent Love for others, who are facing the same losses as I did.

[Related Posting: " Dare To Serve", October 21, 2012].

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2012. All Rights Reserved.











No comments:

Post a Comment