Wednesday, December 26, 2012

My New Year's Resolutions



Another New Year is approaching. Our thoughts turn inevitably to New Year's Resolutions.


As a child, I never received much guidance in how to live a healthy, balanced life.

I was taught some "backwards thinking", such as,  'Do not give to charity.'  If I gave money to others, I felt guilty.

I was taught that 'Christians are losers and hypocrites.' Yet, I found myself believing in God and wanting to go to church. I felt confused.

My family had awful names for every ethnic group. But I wanted to love everyone. Is that so wrong?

I had to seriously doubt the things that my family taught me. But somehow, I needed a really good self-help book, to figure out how to live.

Every year, I make New Year's Resolutions. I do want to work on being a better person. None of us is perfect-- or ever will be. But I want to always learn and grow.

So, here are my Resolutions:

1) I want to love others.

2) I want to stop worrying about how I look.

3) I want to feel more worthy.

4) I want to stop being so anxious about tomorrow.

5) I want to be happy, joyful.

6) I want to stop obsessing about what I eat.

7)  I want to be more patient.

8) I want to curb my anger. 

9) I want to increase my faith.

10) I want to forgive others, even those who have hurt me deeply.


It was not until I became an adult-- and a wife and mother-- that a dear friend finally gave me a beautiful gift, a Bible! I had never owned one before.

I opened it and began to read. I discovered that it is the best self-help book ever written!

Here are the keys to my Resolutions:

1) "Love others deeply from the heart", 1 Peter 22; and 1 Cor. 13: 13,
"Faith, hope and love, but the greatest of these is Love."

2) " Therefore, I tell you, do not worry about your body, what you will wear. And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. Not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed as these". Matthew 6: 25, 29.

3) "[Even] the sparrows will not fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father.  Don't be afraid, you are worth  more than many sparrows. Even all the hairs on your head are numbered [by God]." Matthew 10:31

4) " Therefore, do not worry about your life. Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." Matthew 6: 25, 34; " Cast all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you." 1Peter 5:7.

5) "Be always joyful, pray continuously, give thanks whatever happens." 1 Thess. 5: 6-18

6) " Do not worry about what you will eat or drink. Is not life more important than food?" Matthew 6: 25.

7) " Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love." Ephesians 4: 2

8) " Anyone who is angry with his brother will be judged. Settle matters quickly with your adversary." Matthew 5: 22, 25.

9) " The Apostles said to the Lord, 'Increase our Faith.' The Lord said, 'If you have Faith as small as a mustard seed, nothing will be impossible for you.' " Luke 17: 5-6; Matthew 17: 20.

10)  " If you forgive men when they sin against you, your Heavenly Father will also forgive you."  Matthew 6:14; also, Matthew 18: 21-22-- "' How many times must I forgive my brother?' 'Not seven times but seventy-seven times.' "

So many people today believe that the Bible is archaic and irrelevant. BUT, the Scriptures have put me onto right thinking. The Word has saved my life! I return to my Bible again and again, to seek my moral compass, to find the right path. The Scriptures give me the Truth about life.

The Blessings of the New Year be upon you!

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2012. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment