Friday, January 11, 2013

Baptized With The Holy Spirit

" In the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar -- when Pontius Pilate was governor of Judea and Herod tetrarch of Galilee, the word of God came to John [the Baptist]. He went into all the country around Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. John [spoke to the crowds gathered]: 'I baptize you with water. But one more powerful than I will come. . . . He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.'  When all the people were baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as He was praying, Heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from Heaven, 'You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.' " [Luke 3: 1-3, 15-21].

 Sunday, January 13, 2013 is the celebration of the Baptism of the Lord.

I have always wondered-- what is the true meaning of "baptized with the Spirit". Christians, and especially born-again Christians talk about this all the time. They speak of times when, in difficult moments in life, they have appealed to the Holy Spirit and have been saved.

What is this Baptism, that seems to be so powerful?  John the Baptist speaks of the "baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins."  In 1 Peter 3: 21, it says, "Baptism now saves you, not as a removal of dirt [sin] from the body, but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus."

And what a powerful image, in this Reading, of the coming of the Holy Spirit! At the time of Caesar and Pontius Pilate, (not exactly the nicest rulers in the world), here is John the Baptist, going around baptizing people and preaching repentance! I wonder, what kind of a chance did John think he had here, against all that evil?

It turns out, a huge advantage over evil! Because, then comes this awesome image of Jesus Himself being baptized. The Heavens open up, the Holy Spirit descends upon Him and the voice of God speaks! So, what I say to this is-- 'I want some of that!'

In fact, as a baby, I was baptized. This decision was made by adults, not by me.  But in baptism by water, I DID receive the Holy Spirit!

Later, when I was in middle school, I made my First Communion. It is also in the Eucharist that we receive all of Jesus, including the Holy Spirit.

This Holy Spirit is a great power, that we receive in becoming Christians by baptism. It is still somewhat of a mystery what this Holy Spirit is. But, the best description I have found is when Jesus says in John 14: 15 -- " If you love me, you will obey what I command [i.e. resist sin]. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever-- the Spirit of the truth. The world cannot accept Him because it neither sees Him nor knows Him, for He lives in you and will be in you."

All this time, I thought that the Holy Spirit was "out there" somewhere? But the Holy Spirit is in me, counseling me all through my days! To access the power of the Holy Spirit, I have only to ask, i.e. to desire God and to pray for His helping hand.

Does it work?

Several years ago now, I was at the park with my young son, who was about three. Suddenly a dangerous wind kicked up. My son looked up at the sky and said, "I want to go home". We had walked to the park, which was around the corner from home. I put him in our little red wagon and we headed home.

By the time we reached the corner of our street, the wind gusts were roiling the trees above. I stopped at the corner and hesitated. We could see our house, but we still had a ways to go. My son screamed over the awful sound of the wind, "GO-oo!!!"

I don't know why, but I asked my son, 'Which way should I go?', meaning do I cross the street at the corner, or do I turn the corner and keep going? (Why was I asking my toddler this, anyway, except I was confused and petrified?)

At that moment, I heard an insistent whisper, "Cross here! Cross here!"

But this voice did not come from my son. He was screaming the opposite, ' Keep going, turn the corner!!!'

I disobeyed that gentle inner voice, and I turned the corner. Almost opposite our house, a huge maple tree split near the base and came crashing towards us! I found myself hauling on the wagon with all my might, with my son in it, running for our lives!  The tree fell within a few feet of us, with live wires all around us. We were unharmed, but terrified. Later, on the news, I heard that this wind was in actuality, a micro tornado!

Had I listened to the gentle voice within, I would have crossed the street at the corner. Then, the tree would have fallen away from us, and we would not have been in the path of such danger.

Some time after this incident, I asked my pastor, What was that Power, that had saved my son and me from certain destruction?

He said, "It was Divine Intervention. Someone is protecting you. It could be a guardian angel. It could be God's Grace . It could be the Holy Spirit."

I wondered about that. I mean, I had not even thought to pray. I did not have time to pray. I just ran.
But the power of the Spirit was there for me!

The Catholic Church believes that, "all those who, [even] without knowing of the Church, but acting under the inspiration of Grace, who seek God sincerely and strive to fulfill His will, are saved even if they have not been baptized."

Today, I believe with all my heart in the power of the Holy Spirit: through baptism, through prayer, through the Eucharist-- and through God's infinite Grace.

The Holy Spirit saves! I can stand here and say, I am living proof of that. . . .

[Related Postings: " Nativity of John the Baptist:, June 23, 2012; " The Baptism of the Lord, January 7, 2011.]

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2013 All Rights Reserved.









No comments:

Post a Comment