Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I Was A Stranger

World Day of Prayer, March 1, 2013

According to the World Day of Prayer Program 2013, "World Day of Prayer is a world-wide ecumenical movement of Christian women of many traditions who come together to observe a common day of prayer each year on the first Friday of March. Each year a different country serves as the writer of the World Day of Prayer worship service, interpreting the Bible in their own context, and lifting up issues of mission, justice and peace that are important to them."

This year, the women of France developed the program. Next year, the women of Egypt will present their Order of Worship.

I present here an edited version of the World Day of Prayer 2013 program:

Theme: "I Was a Stranger and You Welcomed Me"

Procession: Several women led the procession up the aisle. They all wore red and orange and yellow, in harmony with the beautiful World Day of Prayer 2013 poster.

Welcome:

Leader:  Bonjour, bonjour, bonjour! World Day of Prayer USA welcomes each of you today to join our sisters in France who have prepared this worship service for us. We would like them to tell you about themselves and where they come from.

Odile: I am the chairperson of the French WDP committee and I live in Paris.

Jeanne: I am a doctor from Cameroon. I became a French citizen through marriage.

Greta: I am German, single and a teacher in the South of France.

Marguerite: I was born in the Eastern part of France. I am a homemaker and mother of four.

Cecile: I work with my husband on our farm in the center of France.

Genevieve: I am married to an Englishman and have just retired from my job in a shop.

Stranger: God calls us. We know that we are God's children. And we know that we are but "strangers and foreigners on the earth."

Leader: God calls us. Let us listen and be open to the word of Jesus Christ. " I was a stranger and you welcomed me." Throughout the world, let us unite in prayers.

Gathering Hymn: " In Christ There is No East or West".

Praise:  Some of the women take turns praising God, and the Congregation sings as its Response, "Laudate Dominum".

Odile: Praise to you, O Lord. You created us in your image and we are all different. Thank you for this diversity. Thank you for the cultures and traditions that have emerged in our places of origin."

Jeanne: Praise to you, O Lord. Each one of us is unique in your eyes. You guide us on the path to solidarity, whatever our origins, languages, appearances and personalities.

Greta:  May praise, honor, and glory be given unto you Lord, for the bounty that you have granted us.

Seeking Forgiveness :

Marguerite: We turn to the Book of Leviticus and listen to God's instructions that we are not to exploit strangers.

Leader:  The Lord spoke to Moses, saying: " You shall be holy, for I the Lord your God am holy. . . When an alien resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the alien." [Leviticus 19: 1-2, 33]

Irena:  I am from Ukraine. I answered an offer for a job in France, lured by the hope for a better life. But, my very own Ukrainian people conned me, and without a job, money or documents, I found myself totally dependent on a prostitution network.

Leader:  "The alien who resides with you shall be a citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt." [Leviticus 19: 34-36].

Joyce:  I was born in France and grew up here. My parents had come to France before my birth to escape war in Congo. In spite of my French diploma, I cannot find a job because when people read my name and see my picture, they do not think I could be truly French.

Leader:  "I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt. You shall keep my statutes and all my ordinances and observe them." [Leviticus 19: 36-37].

Kyrie:

Some of the women speak, then in turn, the congregation responds with "Kyrie".

Cecile: Forgive us, Lord, for each time we did not rightly welcome the one turning to us for refuge. Forgive us for our words, which hurt others, and our attitudes, which humiliate them. Forgive us for our cowardice and our indifference.

Genevieve: We find assurance of God's pardon in the book of Revelation: " See, the home of God is among mortals. He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. Mourning and crying and pain will be no more, for the first things have passed away." [Revelation 21: 3-4].

VeraI am Brazilian. I have been in France for five years. My life is very tiring because I do domestic work for several families. I love France. I have many French friends who help me.

Marie-Leone: I lived in Rwanda until the genocide when my father, brother, aunt and uncle were killed. Smothered by so much suffering and horror, I found sisters in Christ [in France] who consoled me, helped me. I praise the Lord for guiding me to Christian sisters and brothers who opened their homes and their hearts to me.

Francoise: My family has lived in France for many generations. As a hospital nurse, I want to witness to the way foreign children are welcomed when they come to France for major surgery.

Leader: Today, O Lord, we have everything to learn from your Word. Free us from all ready-made explanations that prevent us from hearing your Call.

Reading: Matthew 25: 31-40 -- "Truly, I tell you, just as you did [this] to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me."

Hymn: "God Makes Us Friends".

Speaker: A native born French person, who spoke about French history, culture, language, religions etc. The concluding comment: ' The American people are the amongst the most free in discussing their spirituality and faith.'

Veni Sancte Spiritus: Some of the women speak, then in turn, the congregation sings "Veni Sanctus Spiritus"

Greta: We pray for young women who dare to cross borders to study or work, drawn by the promise of a job and a better life. We pray with alarm and concern for those who are caught in the dangerous trap of human trafficking.

Marguerite: We pray for the courage to face the reasons people are driven from their homes: war, natural disaster, climate change, a failed economy.

Cecile: We pray that our churches will be places of welcome for all people, regardless of where they come from.

Genevieve: O Lord, our God, our refuge and strength, let us pray [The Lord's Prayer].

Sending and Blessing:

Stranger: Sisters and brothers: "I was a stranger and you welcomed me." May our smile bring warmth. May our words help to sustain life. Jesus tells us: " Just as you did this to one of the least of these, you did it to me."

Closing Hymn: "May God's Blessing Surround You."

Worship Service (c) World Day of Prayer 2013
www.wdp-usa.org

Profound gratitude to the women of France, who developed this program and who led us all in prayer. Blessings, peace and justice to all who prayed together on this special day, all over the world!

[Related Posting: " Let Justice Prevail", March 7, 2012.]

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2013. All Rights Reserved.






 


No comments:

Post a Comment