Monday, August 8, 2016

Belief In the Unseen



"Brothers and sisters: Faith is the realization of what is hoped for and evidence of things not seen.
By Faith, Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to a place that he was to receive as an inheritance; he went out, not knowing where he was to go.
By Faith, he sojourned in the promised land as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, for he was looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and maker is God.
By Faith, he received power to generate, even though he was past the normal age -- and Sarah herself was sterile. So that it was e came forth from one man, himself as good as dead, descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sands on the seashore.
By Faith, Abraham, when put to the test, offered up Isaac, he was ready to offer his only son. He reasoned that God was able for raise even from the dead, and he received Isaac back as a symbol."
-- [Hebrews 11: 1-2, 8-12.]


I have a friend whom I pray with. When she and her family face a big decision, they pray about it, asking God for guidance. One of her not-so-believing acquaintances asked when the family was going to reach an important decision? My friend said, "Well, we are waiting on the Lord."

The acquaintance replied, "How is THAT going for ya'?"

I have to say, coming from a family of non-believers, even hinting that I might pray or have faith in something, and lean on God, drew only derision and scorn.

People who prayed and relied on God, to my family, were folks who had absolutely nothing going for them; folks who had no clue or hope; and so, with no strength savvy, or they were forced to desperately cling to that "God-thing".

Growing up, I never had family who supported me, encouraged me or had Faith in me. It seemed like every goal or hope that I had was met with disdain and mockery.

But, I found that there were things that I believed in, even though I had no evidence that these events would come to pass. My family called me foolish or naive. I simply believed. Call me a child. Maybe I was a child. Or maybe I was wise beyond my years. . .

I never realized back then, that this was called Faith. Once I reached age fourteen, I was not allowed to go to church. So, this thing called belief, or confidence in things not seen, was not church-based or Scripture-based. I simply had this "knowing" that the things I hoped for would materialize.

And so, by Faith, I believed that I would find an amazing husband and get married. Even though I had had so many traumas in childhood, that I really did not trust any human being enough to open up to them. My mother cried and told my father that I would never get married -- especially when I told her that I would not get married, unless I met my soul-mate. This confidence on my part only served to prove to her that I was foolish and unrealistic. HOW would this happen, if I did not even have any friends?

Almost exactly one month later, I met my future husband. I felt, from the moment I met him, that I had known him all my life.

Then, my husband and I decided that we wanted to buy a house. My mother told me that she did not think that my husband and I could ever afford a house. Perhaps it did not occur to me to worry about this. My husband and I saved our money, and yes, we found a house we could afford. A home we loved.

Then, we decided to start a family. My mother told me that she did not think we could afford a child. When we could not at first conceive, my mother seemed to feel vindicated in her opinion that we would never have children.

But, we were blessed with a son, a child whom I had prayed for daily, for over two years. The social worker asked me, 'How had I waited so long and so patiently?' I told her, simply, I did not believe the people who told me that it would never happen. I had Faith.

At this point, I began to understand the power of believing in things not seen, but merely hoped for.

And yet, to this day, I am astonished at the magnitude of God's generosity. He makes things that seem impossible-- possible.

Only a few years ago, I met a guy at my church who is a former Lost Boy of Sudan. He asked me to help him start a foundation to help his village in South Suidan. I almost said no. I talked to God and said, 'HOW can you ask me to do this? I know nothing about raising money. I don't want to promise something that I cannot deliver.'

Instead of worrying, I began to pray: 'God, if You want me to do this, show me the way.'  A few days ago, I received word that, in one single, anonymous donation, we have received our entire budgetary goal for a YEAR!

BY FAITH, I have reached places I never thought I would go. I am learning to "Never say 'Never' ".

I am realizing the power of believing in things hoped for, but unseen!

(C) Spiritual Devotional 2016. All rights reserved.


No comments:

Post a Comment