Monday, October 16, 2017

Richer or Poorer



" Brothers and sisters: I know how to live in humble circumstances; I know also how to live in abundance. In every circumstance and in all things, I have learned the secret of being well fed and of going hungry, of living in abundance and of being in need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. " --[Philippians 4: 12-14, 19-20].


There is an old quote, " I've been poor and I've been rich. Rich is better."  Some attribute this turn of phrase to writer Beatrice Kaufman; others to Mae West or Fanny Brice.

Whoever first said this, it shows the secular belief that the more we have, the better.

I spent a childhood "living poor", despite the considerable wealth in my family, by the world's standards. My family had food but I often went unfed. I showed up at neighbors' houses looking hungry and hoping they would give me a piece of bread or a glass of milk.

My parents had a big oscillating fan in their room for hot summer nights. My sibling had an air conditioner in his room. I was told, "It is not hot."

After awhile, I learned that getting angry was not going to result in any improvement of my circumstances. When I was told at age five that I was "too old for naps, I put myself down for naps. I started a babysitting business at age 11, and bought a fan for my room.

I left home at eighteen. I got my education and got a good job and an apartment. I got married, and my husband and I started a family. I began to live in abundance.

I have a beautiful home now. I have food. Despite my childhood, when no one hugged me or said, "I love you", when I was called ugly every day, and went to school with black eyes, I now have abundant Love in my life.

But, I am the same person now as I was back then. And that is exactly the point.

I knew how to live in humble circumstances. I found food. I helped out at home, in my mother's kitchen and garden, to keep the Peace. I either lent a hand, or I stayed out of the way. I left home with an education and money in the bank at 18. I had survived.

I know how to live in abundance. I still help others generously from the heart. I will never believe that my good fortune now means that I am a superior human being.

That is because I believe in timeless, priceless values that no amount of money can ever buy--  Love, Peace, Faith, Generosity, Patience, Joy.

There are those who do believe that reaching the pinnacle of success means that they have "the Answer" to Life, that they are smarter, more qualified, therefore superior. (This is called the Theology of Prosperity).

I am always shocked when people make assumptions about me, based on superficial impressions. They see my comfortable life, and they assume that I never suffered. They see my comfortable life, and they assume that I am egotistical and snobby.

Or perhaps, they see me dressed-down, digging in my garden or sweeping my porch, and they assume that I am a Nobody. They discount me, or even walk past me, treating me as if I am invisible.

The Truth is, rich or poor, I am the SAME person. I do not want my circumstances to change who I am inside.

THIS is what St. Paul, and Christ, call us to do. Our lives may change dramatically-- sadly alone or with loving family; poor or rich or back to poor again; young and healthy or old and feeble.

Whatever my circumstances, I keep my eyes on "Christ who strengthens me."

"That's Life, that's what people say. .
You're riding high in April, shot down in May.
I've been a puppet, a pauper, a pirate, a poet, a pawn and a king. I've been up and down and over and out, And I know one thing. Each time I find myself flat on my face, I pick myself up and get back in the race." -- Frank Sinatra.

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the Faith." --[2 Timothy 4:7].

[Related Posting: "The Theology of Prosperity, 1/28/16.]

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2017. All Rights Reserved.








No comments:

Post a Comment