Monday, April 23, 2018

She Talks to God



"Jesus said: 'I am the Good Shepherd. A good shepherd lays his life down for the sheep. . . . I know mine and mine know me. . . And they will hear my voice.' " -[ John 10: 11-18].


I have friends who know that I write in this space, and they ask me, How do you possibly have anything new to write each week?

The Truth is, there is NEVER any shortage of misperception, or downright vilification, of Christianity.

In February, 2018, one of the hosts of the popular talk show "The View", Joy Behar, called Vice President Mike Pence "mentally ill" for saying that he talks to Jesus.

During this conversation, Behar stated that "hearing voices" is a mental illness. Then she said that, "It's one thing to talk to Jesus. It's another thing when Jesus talks to YOU."

The thing is, a central part of being a Christian is to pray. That is "talking to God", (or Jesus), right?

But, as another panelist, Sherri Shepard clarified, "As a Christian, that's just par for the course. You talk to Jesus, Jesus talks back."

The thing is, a central part of being a Christian is to pray. Prayer IS "talking to God", (or Jesus), right?

This "talking to God" is not some sort of New Age-y, "Whoo-Hoo" practice. Prayer and a relationship with Jesus are central to being a Christian.

If anyone is willing to lose the sarcasm and really read this Scripture, they will see that talking to Jesus,  and gaining a relationship through prayer, go all the way back to the beginning of Jesus' ministry.

I have a girlfriend who was trying to help her son make a decision in his life. A non-believer asked her, "Have you decided yet?" My friend said, "We are waiting on God."  The non-believer shot back, "Yeah?! How's THAT working for 'ya?"

I think that some are skeptical of this "talking to God", because they wrongly paint it in black and white. Non-believers think that Christians sit around just thinking and praying, and that Christians believe they can be totally passive and nevertheless, expect God to rescue them.

But, we do have gifts and talents - and we are never, as Christians, expected to check our brains (or brawn) at the door.

It can be hard for Christians to explain this "talking to God" practice. What could we possibly "hear"? How is this "talking to God" any better than pouring our hearts out to a lifeless journal or to a pet dog who has no idea what we are saying?

I remember when my life fell apart several years ago. I ran to the pastor my husband's church,  in a panic and said, "God is GONE!" The pastor said, "God is NOT gone. BUT, how often do you talk to Him?" Then, when I began to pray regularly, I ran back to the pastor in a panic and said, " I am spooked and terrified, because NOW God is answering me!" The pastor chuckled and said, "Oh. You'll get used to it!"

It became clear over several months, that as childhood traumas came back to haunt me, as my dad died abruptly, I took on my mother who was terminally ill, my chronic lung disease came roaring back, my best friend died, my mother-in-law died, and we lost all our pets within a month - that I could not handle all this alone. I needed to feel that the steadying presence of God in my life was accessible. I needed a Rock to stabilize me.

The pastor told me that my Soul was terribly wounded. That was actually a relief to hear. In our modern, secular life, we forget that we even HAVE a Soul. I could try to eat better, get rest, talk through my losses, even take up yoga but why was there still this intense pain like a cancer inside of me?

So - Who would heal my Soul? As I tried to talk to God and I went through my days, I kept hearing, "Only say the word and my Soul shall be healed."

Back I ran to the pastor. He told me, quite simply, "THAT is the call to Communion." It became clear, I had to join the church. I had sat on the fence for too many decades, not participating in the church service fully. I needed to receive the Eucharist.

I have "heard the Voice" of Jesus since then - When my best friend lay dying, but in a far away city, I didn't know she was so close to death. I "heard", "It is soon finished." A day or so later, I received word that she had died. Those are the words that Jesus said before He died on the Cross. I needed to hear that; Jesus died and went to Heaven first, FOR us, so that we may, too. I miss my friend every day, but I know that I will see her again.

More recently- a Christian friend is facing some serious health issues. She prayed and "heard", "The later house will be greater than the former house, and in this place will I give peace and prosperity." -[Haggai 2:9]. What does this mean? Will she recover her health and be better than ever before?

I cannot wait to see what God's Plan is for her.

[Related Postings: "The Shepherd's Voice", 5/8/17; "Hearing the Shepherd's Voice", 4/19/16; "Where is My Flock?", 4/29/12; "His Flock", 5/16/11].

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2018. All Rights Reserved.














No comments:

Post a Comment