Saturday, April 7, 2012

Easter Redemption

" The angel said to Mary Magdalene and the other Mary, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you are looking for Jesus, who was crucified. He is not here, He has risen, just as He said." [Matthew 28: 5-6].
The long season of Lent is finally over! We have emerged from the desert of the temptation of sin, and from the dark time of reflection and fasting. We have keenly felt the poignancy of the Last Supper. We have walked through the somber valley of Jesus' death on Good Friday. Easter now brings us the joyful hope of Redemption.
I have not had an easy life. And yet, my life has been filled with Redemption!
When I was thirteen, my mother and my grandmother drew me aside and told me that my mother almost died giving birth to me, and I almost died too. I could have been depressed my whole life, or scared because 'life is so dangerous'. Instead, at that moment, I suddenly understood that there IS a God. He brought me into this life. My whole life became a matter of Redemption because I had conquered death. At the age of thirteen, I understood that life is sacred.
When I was three, I almost drowned in a neighbor's pool. Yet again, I was given life!
Despite growing up in a dysfunctional household where no one ever hugged me or said 'I love you', I set about, at age 13, tending to my mother's garden, bringing flowers into the house, and taking care of the family's mending each Sunday afternoon. I believe that it is by God's grace that I was able to exhibit so much love. I believe that I wanted the opposite of hate and abuse and neglect. I wanted, not revenge; I wanted Redemption. I longed for God, before I really knew who He was.
In graduate school, I was the victim of a violent crime. I almost died that day. But I prayed to God. I could not believe that my life was over. I pleaded with God, "I have so much more to live for!" God saved me again. He gave me another chance at life! He gave me another Redemption.
When I was ten, I felt that I had no haven where I could be safe. I could not stop what was being done to me. So I stopped speaking. I decided to become invisible. Today, in this space, I am speaking to the world!
When I was thirteen, I created my own Redemption by behaving lovingly in the face of a cold, unloving atmosphere. As an adult, I have continued my practice of "creating Redemption" -- a neighbor many years ago gave me a plethora of zucchini from his garden. In turn, I made zucchini bread and gave him a loaf or two! Recently, I discovered a big bin of left-over yarn in my closet. Now I am making scarves for the homeless shelter nearby.
We are called to "create Redemptions" here on earth by bestowing our love on others, even on those who, we believe, may not deserve it.
Gradually, though, I am learning something far more important about Redemption. The true power of Redemption comes, not merely from human effort, but from God! Jesus went willingly to the cross. But it is God who lifted Him up!
If I think that I have been on my own-- gardening for my mother, sewing and mending for my family, baking zucchini bread, knitting scarves-- I am wrong! It is God who has given me this life, many times over. It is God who has given me these gifts! And it is God who, by calling me to love Him, is calling me to love the world!
God, in calling Your Son to Your side, You celebrated the power of Life over death. I pray that I, too, may celebrate Redemption, by drawing closer to Your Love!
[Related posting: "Easter Joy!", April 23, 2011].
(c) The Spiritual Devotional, 2012. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment