Thursday, April 5, 2012

Holy Thursday

" Jesus knew that He had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing and wrapped a towel around His waist. After that, he poured water in a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel wrapped around Him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to Him, 'Lord, are you going to wash my feet?' Jesus replied, 'You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.' 'No', said Peter, 'You shall never wash my feet.' Jesus answered, 'Unless I wash your feet, you will not receive my inheritance.'" [John 13: 3-6].

During Jesus' time, people wore sandals on their feet. On the unpaved roads, their feet quickly grew dirty and dusty. The feet are the dirtiest part of us, since they walk on the ground. Even today, in the Middle East, exposing the bottoms of one's filthy shoes in front of another is a great insult.

I cannot imagine anyone washing my feet-- let alone Jesus!! This is how Simon Peter is reacting in this Scripture. He says, "No. You shall never wash my feet."

When I was converting, it was during the season of Lent. That was a hard enough season for a beginner, a season spent "in the desert", alone and in contemplation. Then came Holy Thursday and The Washing Of The Feet. I reacted viscerally against this idea. I hit a wall spiritually.

Many parishes reenact The Washing of The Feet. What is there to this ritual? Then I realized, this tender moment of Jesus washing the disciples' feet is a foreshadowing of His ultimate service and sacrifice in the Crucifixion.

So, what Jesus says here is correct. If I do not accept His sacrifice, I do not accept Him!

I tried to discern what was keeping me from fully receiving Jesus? For me, it was feeling that I am not worthy.

What keeps us from Jesus' sacrifice, His gift, and ultimately the "inheritance"-- the glory-- of Jesus?

Is it Fear? Perhaps we fear such a close connection with the supernatural.

Is it Doubt? Perhaps we doubt who Jesus really is? Or we doubt the awesome effect He can have on us, if we only accept Him?

Perhaps it is Pride? Maybe we think that we do not need anyone's help, let alone God's, or His Son's?

Jesus, I pray that I may draw ever nearer to You, so that I may receive the inheritance that is in You!

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2012. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment