Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Epiphany of The Lord



"When Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea, in the days of King Herod, behold, Magi from the East arrived in Jerusalem, saying, 'Where is the new born king of the Jews?  We saw his star at its rising and have come to do Him homage.' When King Herod heard this, he was greatly troubled, and all Jerusalem with him. Assembling all the chief priests and the scribes of the people, he inquired of them where the Christ  was to be born. They said to him, 'In Bethlehem of Judah. . . and you, Bethlehem, land of Judah, are by no means least among the rulers of Judah; since from you shall come a ruler, who is to shepherd my people Israel.' Then, Herod called the Magi secretly and ascertained from them the time of the star's appearance. He sent them to Bethlehem and said, ' Go and search diligently for the child. When you have found Him, bring me word, so that I too may go and do Him homage.' After their audience with the king, they set out. And behold, the star they had seen at its rising preceded them, until it came and stopped over the place where the child was. They were overjoyed at seeing the star,  and on entering the house, they saw the child with Mary, His mother. They prostrated themselves and did Him homage. Then they opened their treasures and offered Him gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh. And having been warned in a dream not to return to Herod, they departed for their country by another way." -[Matthew 2: 1-12].

There are two alternate versions of the first sightings of the baby Jesus. One occurs in this account from Matthew. Another occurs in the account of Luke 2: 8-20, when "shepherds keeping watch over their flocks at night,  encounter an angel of the Lord who announces the birth of a Savior, "born to you; He is the Messiah."

I don't think that the ordinary, modern person can fully appreciate what an extraordinary event it was, that it was shepherds and Magi who first paid homage to the baby Jesus. And yet, meanwhile, the King with the most power, Herod, reacted with fear and violence, as he plotted to kill the King of the Jews.

The Magi were Kings from the East, yes. Only -- they were not only foreigners, but pagans. As non-Jews, the Magi would have been eyed in Judah with suspicion. The Magi could not have been pure, they were not among God's Chosen People. In fact, they practiced astrology.

And the shepherds were Jewish, but were outliers. They were nomads, living outside in the fields, keeping watch over fires by night. They would have been about as welcome in organized society at the time, as a homeless person is today.

I ponder these images, of the First Witnesses to Jesus' birth. And I recall the devout young man who is facing the next step in his Faith Formation. He balks at the reflection required, the reading and writing. When asked about his hesitation, he replies, "I don't think I am pure enough, to take this next step."

Or, I think about the woman who was born and raised Catholic. And every time she hears the Eucharistic Prayer, she almost stays glued to her seat. Because the call to Eucharist says, "Lord, I am not worthy to receive You, but only say the Word, and I shall be healed." This lifelong Catholic is afraid that she will NEVER be worthy enough of Jesus, to approach Him at the altar and receive Him.

I think of myself, at a critical point in my life, longing to become closer to God. But, I was refusing to approach Him when He called. I said, "Who-- me, Lord?" I was frozen in time and space. I asked the parish priest, "What would God want with ME? I am only a woman. Only a wife. Only a mother." The priest replied, "So was Mary."

This Epiphany,  I want to hold close to my heart, that if the Magi-- pagans, astrologers, foreigners, were worthy enough to sit at the feet of Jesus, then I can be too.

I want to revel in the irony that it was homeless shepherds, nomads who cared for sheep, and probably reeked of sheep, who were approached by an angel of the Lord, first announcing the birth of the Messiah.

Does anyone remember Pope Francis on Holy Thursday 2014, washing the feet of prisoners-- And the feet of female inmates and of two Muslims, at that? Let no one believe that this was a provocative act. It was straight out of Matthew 2, and Luke 2!

I also ponder the great lengths to which the Magi went to see Jesus. They traveled from afar. They came, at tremendous cost to themselves, both physically, and monetarily, They came bearing expensive gifts. I wonder how much effort that we modern-day followers are willing to expend to find Jesus?

I want to take in the utter joy that the Magi felt upon seeing the tender Babe for the first time. I wonder, how often do I resent Christmas? Or become irritated at the demands of being a Christian? Or --can I simply bask in the Joy?

I want to take on that hurried urgency of the shepherds, who heard the angelic proclamation of Jesus' birth, and who shook off all fear and confusion, and made haste to the manger.

Finally, I think of the determination with which the Magi evaded Herod and his evil plot to kill Jesus. I would like to think, on this Epiphany, that I have the discernment to understand who it is who is a fundamental threat to Jesus.

I would hope that, as I draw closer to Jesus, that I would fight the powers who would kill Him. I would hope that I would count myself worthy to travel far and wide, declaring the Good News of His Name.

[Related Postings: ""Epiphany",  January 6, 2011; "The Magi",  January 19, 2012; "My Epiphany", January 5, 2013;  "The Worship of the Magi", January 14, 2014.]

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2015. All Rights Reserved.






No comments:

Post a Comment