Monday, January 12, 2015

The Relevance of Baptism


" It happened in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee, and was baptized in the Jordan by John [the Baptist]. On coming up out of the water, He saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit, like a dove, descending upon Him. And a voice came from the Heavens, 'You are my beloved Son; with whom I am well pleased.' " -[Mark 1: 7-11].


With this Reading, we mark the Feast of the Baptism of the Lord.

As I consume various media--- print newspapers and magazines, on-line news sources, television and cable news- -- I am acutely aware of how very secular we have become.

Charles Murray, in his 2012 book, "The New American Divide" points out that secularism is up over 30 percentage points since the early 1970's. Secularism is defined as "people who profess no religion or who attend a worship service no more than once a year."

Murray also contends that there is more disunity in America today, because of the lack of "shared values." Increasingly, we do not 'mostly all' profess a religion or attend church; we do not 'mostly all' watch the same network television shows; we do not ' mostly all' get married and have children within marriage.

In an article in The Wall Street Journal, entitled, "Secular and Proud of It", Naomi Schaefer Riley writes, "The vast majority of unaffiliated are not atheists as such. They are simply disaffected and indifferent, and many are uneducated about religious doctrine. They have no biblical literacy and embrace the shallow postmodern notion that good behavior is "relative" and that being "judgmental"is the [biggest] problem in life." -[WSJ, 1/5/15]. How sad, that the next generation does not so much not believe, as not understand.

Does anyone attend regular Mass or church services any longer? Does anyone even care? Does anyone recognize the relevance of Baptism today?

I contend that Baptism was meant to set us apart as Christians, but also to bring us together as a community.

Pope Francis has said, about Baptism, that "Under the Holy Spirit, our Baptismal mission is to find the apostolic courage necessary to overcome the easy, worldly accommodations."

In other words, in our Baptism, we put on the mantle of Christ. The Catholic Catechism says, "Baptism is "the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit." From the very beginning days of the church, St. Peter baptized Christians by saying, "Repent, and be baptized every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ, for the forgiveness of your sins, and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit." Indeed, "the baptized have 'put on Christ.' " -[ Catechism 1227].

And what is that Spirit? 1 John 5 says, "The Spirit is the one who testifies, and the Spirit is Truth." It is the Spirit which opens our heart to the Truth, just as the heavens opened up when Jesus was baptized, and He became closer to God.

In John 14, Jesus tells His disciples, just before His death, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. . . I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. . .The Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name [my stead], will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said."

In  a practical sense, what can this possibly mean?

I grew up in a cruel and harsh family. I was sometimes not fed, even though we had food. I was hit, and called ugly every day. I began to believe those words. I would go to school with black eyes. I stopped feeling any emotions when I was eight. I stopped speaking when I was ten. I have been told by medical experts that I should be-- suicidal; harming myself; dead; in jail; abusive to my child; addicted to drugs or alcohol; in an abusive relationship; despairing that there even IS a God.

Instead, I am peaceful, gentle, joyful, kind, generous, patient, faith-filled, and free from anger. Many would say that, if you do not come from a family like that, you cannot possibly "learn" how to love, make peace, practice patience, find your faith, etc.

I am living proof that these things are not learned from any human source, but come from the Spirit. And I received the Spirit by my Baptism in a Christian church!! From my Baptism, I learned the Truth about my life.

 I have no other explanation for how I "knew" to offer Love where there was Hate, Peace where there was Strife. In fact, no one in my family ever said hugged me, or said, "I love you," The only touch I ever received was either No Touch, or Bad Touch. I certainly did not learn Love from any humans in my life.

The Spirit protected me in other ways, in the community. When I was hungry, a  neighbor saw my hunger, and gave me a glass of milk and a piece of bread with butter. I did to go to bed hungry.

When I was called ugly every day, a school librarian told me that I ought to smile more, because my smile made me beautiful.

When I had stopped speaking, nevertheless, I was required to recite a poem in school. My knees were knocking, as I haltingly read the poem. Then, when I had finished, I faced that dreadful silence alone. But before I knew it, the entire class was clapping for me.

The Spirit, and the fruits of the Spirit -- Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, faith, generosity, gentleness and temperate demeanor- are very healing to the wounded among us. How would I have lived without the comfort of them?

No, our Baptism is not just an empty ritual with trickling water. Our Baptism in the Spirit is a powerful weapon for survival. It is an eternal bond that unites communities, and the whole world.

Why baptize?

I honestly don't think I would have survived without it.

[ Related Postings: "The Baptism of the Lord", Jan. 7, 2011; "Baptized With the Holy Spirit",  Jan. 11, 2013; " Anointed With the Spirit",  Jan. 13, 2014.]

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2015. All Rights Reserved.














No comments:

Post a Comment