Monday, February 2, 2015

The Authentic Christian


"On the Sabbath, Jesus entered the synagogue and taught. The people were astonished at His teaching, for He taught them as one having authority and not as the scribes.  In their synagogue was a man with an unclean spirit; he cried out, 'What have you to do with us, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know who you are-- the Holy One of God!' Jesus rebuked him and said, 'Quiet! Come out of him!' The unclean spirit convulsed him and with a loud cry came out of him. All were amazed and asked one another, 'What is this? A new teaching with authority. He commands even the unclean spirits and they obey Him.' " - [Mark 1: 21-28.]

Jesus is One "having authority"! We Christians take that for granted today.

But when Jesus started frequenting the Temple, listening to the rabbis teach, and then conducting the teaching Himself, He was challenged by others, because He was speaking on His own authority. .

In the religious community, Jesus was considered sacrilegious to speak on His own authority. When Jesus went around healing people and forgiving others their sins, "the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, 'Who IS this man who speaks blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?' " - Luke 5: 21.]

At the same time, political leaders were threatened to the core, misperceiving Jesus to have political aspirations-- especially since Jesus was called, "The King of the Jews". This is the very reason why King Herod was plotting conspiracies to hunt down Jesus and have Him killed, even before He was born.

Today, we understand that Jesus took His authority directly from God, His Father. When Jesus was baptized, "He went up out of the water. At that moment, heaven was opened, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on Him. And a voice from Heaven said, 'This is my beloved Son, whom I am well pleased.' " - [Matthew 3:13-17.]

Today, I believe that the Christian church suffers from a Crisis of Authority. We see this in many ways. I have heard young couples exclaim that they could never go to Christian marriage counseling because "what does an old, white, unmarried male priest know about marriage?"

Young people say much the same thing, "Why should I let an old, white, unmarried man tell me what to do?"

Even more disturbingly, many have begun to question the relevance of the Church, or even its future existence.

Ever since his election, Pope Francis has called for a "New Evangelization".  But, this "New Evangelization" is not new! From Jesus's early days, He "went through Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, proclaiming the good news of the kingdom." Later, after He had selected the twelve apostles, Jesus instructed them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation." -[Mark 16:15].

Recently, in  homilies and treatises, Pope Francis has called ALL of us Christians to do the same! He has said, "Evangelization is the task of the Church."

I have spent many hours of doubt worrying over what authority I possess, to even attempt to preach the Bible or to apply it to my life. When I was growing up, I was raised by a family of non-believers. I was forbidden after a certain age to go to church. I hid my cross necklace inside my shirt. I dared not speak God's name. I kept my Faith, but I had to reduce it to a tiny shred inside of me. After awhile, I took a vow of silence; because, after all, what could one possibly say to anyone so hostile to God?

My experiences in an environment hostile to God has changed me forever. This is why I believe that we must work, not only to speak the Word, but also to free anyone under the burden of persecution. In conditions of persecution, it is possible to keep the Faith, deep inside one's thoughts and heart.. It is even possible to dare to own a bible and to read it under dangerous circumstances. But how can one be fully Christian, if one cannot speak the Word without risking one's very survival?

Pope Francis has called all of us to become "authentic Christians". This of course means much more than simply attending church services. We are to live the Word.

But beyond living it, for we are also to speak it! In his recent "Evangelii Gaudium, Pope Francis said, "In virtue of their baptism, all members of the people of God have become missionary disciples. All the baptized, whatever their position in the church or their level of instruction in the Faith are agents of Evangelization."

I have worried that I do not know enough to evangelize. But Poe Francis has said,  "Anyone who has truly experienced God's saving Love does not need much time or lengthy training to go out and proclaim that Love. What you have come to realize, what has helped you to live and given you hope, is what you also need to communicate with others."-- It is that "personal encounter with the saving Love of Jesus", that must be spoken!

I have worried that I have made so many mistakes in my life, that who AM I to speak about God and His Word? But Pope Francis has said, "We are not asked to be flawless." In fact, I am beginning to see that others have learned, even from my own mistakes!

In memory of, and in place of, all those who are not permitted to attend Mass, I faithfully attend Mass. In memory of, and in honor of, all those who are not permitted to speak God's name or to proclaim His Word, I speak for them!

[Related Postings: "The Seamless Christian", December 12, 2012, "My Visible Faith", February 22, 2102; " The Invisible Catholic", March 9, 2011].

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2015. All Rights Reserved.










No comments:

Post a Comment