Sunday, November 22, 2015

The Thing About Gratitude



" Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God's will for you, in Christ Jesus." -- [1 Thessalonians 5: 16-18].


The month of November has become known as a time of Gratitude. It was Oprah Winfrey who  popularized the concept of keeping a Gratitude Journal, a notebook where we can record, each day, those things for which we are grateful.

As 1 Thessalonians points out, we are supposed to "give thanks in all circumstances." We are to "pray continually  and rejoice always." In other words, an "Attitude of Gratitude" has less to do with Thanksgiving--- and everything to do with being a Christian, all year long.

If Gratitude keeps us centered on what God has given us, and not on those petty things that we lack, then Gratitude is a wonderful gift, indeed.

I have always practiced a very simple version of Gratitude. I am grateful to be alive. I am grateful to be able to breathe freely, because of my chronic lung disease. I am grateful for the food I have to eat. I am grateful for my home. I am grateful for my family and friends. I am grateful for the freedom to worship my God. I am grateful for my talents and gifts, and my freedom to use them.

Some will tell me that my Gratitude is puny. WHY, I am asked, do I dream so small? I am accused of being a minimalist, an apologist, a martyr, an ascetic.

So, the "danger" of Gratitude, if you will, is that we may not fully credit God with His powers to make all things possible. This is the attitude of, "IF I ask for almost nothing, I will never be disappointed."

BUT our God is a BIG God, and a God of risk-taking. He demands that we dream big, and then He admonishes us, "Ask and you will receive."  We are taught to knock on the door, and it will be opened to us. But, the person who dares not ask, will find a minuscule reward.

And so, we must not live out our Gratitude in fear, like the man who buried his talents in Matthew 25: 14-30.  For, this is a man whose Gratitude lacks Faith!

Likewise, we must not allow our Gratitude to become boastful or judgmental. Who has not encountered another, whose Gratitude announces, "Well! At least I am not like THAT guy!" We can fall into the trap of believing that our blessings prove that we are superior to others -- when actually, whether we are born lowly, or in the lap of luxury, is often an accident of birth.

Nor is Gratitude a sign of piety, when we make a big show of bestowing charity on others.  Mark's Gospel teaches: "Beware of the scribes who want to go around in long robes and seek respectful greetings in the marketplace. They have the front seats in the synagogues and the place of honor at banquets. [But] they devour widows' houses and for a show make lengthy prayers." -[ Mark 12: 38-40].

True Gratitude, as service, does not revel in names of donors emblazoned on buildings. True Gratitude becomes the Love of serving along WITH others, never ABOVE others.

Gratitude, to please the Lord, must be humble and quiet. Gratitude that becomes a loving and genuine service to others, is of the highest level. Because that kind of Gratitude is Love.

And so, HOW is YOUR GRATITUDE? Is it patient, kind, not envious, not proud? Is it not self-seeking, not easily angered, does it keep no record of wrongs? --Because when Gratitude becomes charity that has an agenda or keeps score, it is not Love at all!

Does your Gratitude rejoice with the Truth of God, which is Love? Does your Gratitude always protect, trust, hope, persevere?

Does your Gratitude ever fail?

OR, do you pray continually, giving thanks in all circumstances?  Does your Gratitude furl forth, like a Force of Sheer Love?

[Related Postings: " My Grateful Life, 11/24/14;  "Gratitude is a Verb", 11/14/12;  "Gratitude", 11/16/11; "Thanksgiving", 11/21/11].

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2015. All Rights Reserved.



No comments:

Post a Comment