Sunday, June 5, 2016

Revelation



"I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel preached by me is not of human origin. For I did not receive it from a human being, nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ. For you heard of my former way of life in Judaism, how I persecuted the Church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it, and progressed in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries among my race. But when God, who from my other's womb had set me apart, was pleased to reveal His Son to me, so that I might proclaim Him to the Gentiles, I went into Arabia and then returned to Damascus." - -[ Galatians 1:11-116, 17, 19].


In this Scripture, Paul is speaking, and if he sounds defensive -- well, he is.

Paul is one apostle who was not around when Jesus was still alive, traveling with His disciples, preaching and healing and speaking of God the Father.  Paul often speaks of his experience of Jesus as that of encountering the Risen Christ-- as opposed to the Living Christ.

Worse, Paul, formerly Saul, was one of the worst persecutors of Christians in his time. He himself says, "For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it." --[Galatians 1:13].

And yet, Paul went through probably the most dramatic conversion in Scripture. On the road to Damascus, he literally fell off his horse, then heard Jesus crying out to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" --[Acts 9:4]. Saul finds out that, in persecuting Christians, he was in fact, persecuting Jesus Himself!

Although Paul called himself "the least of the Apostles and do not even deserve to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church" -[1 Corinthians 15:9], arguably Paul became one of the greatest of the apostles.

Not only did Paul have to overcome his bad reputation for having persecuted so many Christians, he had to overcome the fact that, before becoming a devout Christian, he had been a devout Jew. He had to argue that there are many paths, all legitimate, towards God and towards being a follower of Jesus.

He had to counter a prevailing sentiment at the time that only peoples who had been devout Jews beforehand, and followers of the Law, could later become Christian. There were even those who suggested that one had to first convert to Judaism, before contemplating becoming Christian.

I hear a lot from family, friends, readers, who are in despair that their children or family members are not religious, not faith-filled. But, I take great comfort from the story of Paul.

I grew up in a non-believing family. At the dinner table, night after night, I heard the constant diatribe about how Christians are the greatest sinners; the weakest of persons who cannot survive by their wits, so they have to lean on God. I was taught to worship at the altar of Human Endeavor, and if you are too weak to take care of yourself, and foolish enough to believe that there is a God, then you are truly lost.

And yet, only one generation back, my Irish Nana was Catholic. I never understood how my father, who had grown up under the tutelage of such a faith-filled woman, could have become such a blasphemous, persecuting man.

In talking to a cousin about her, I learned that my Nana had been in despair when she died, over how my parents were not raising us in the Faith.

I also remember my dear mother-in-law, on her death bed, telling me that I was going to convert someday. It is quite a sin to laugh at the words of a dying woman, but I shook my head when she said that; and as I exited her room, I thought that maybe she had become delirious.

But, almost 20 years later, I did convert. No one was more surprised than I was at the turn of events that brought me to conversion. Like Paul, I look back on what my life had been, surrounded by persecutors, and I am amazed at where I am now.

And so, to all who despair that your siblings, children, cousins, friends, co-workers, neighbors are scoffing at you for our Faith -- in God's version of Time, it is never too late. No sin or violence or blasphemy is too great for God to overcome.

God waits for us patiently, gently calling to us, never forcing Himself on us, but always there.

God beckons us. It matters not who we are or where we have been. In His revelation of Himself, He calls us home.

[Related Postings: "The Least of the Apostles", 2/7/16].

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2016. All Rights Reserved.






No comments:

Post a Comment