Tuesday, March 27, 2018

Killing Him Softly



" My God, my God, why have You forsaken me?" -- [Mark 14: 1-15:47].


Each year during Holy Week, I get depressed over the fact that Jesus was murdered. I ask myself if the Crucifixion could happen again?

Other Christians tell me that I am not personally responsible for Jesus' Crucifixion.

But I believe that we are all responsible. Jesus, God's only Son, died as a sacrifice for our sins. We ALL fall short of the Glory of God.

But there is more to this than that simple, central tenet of Christianity.

In Matthew 25: 31-46, Jesus tells His disciples, "Depart from me, you who are cursed. . For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.  . I tell you the Truth, whatever you did NOT do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

Walking past a stranger who is hungry, cold, thirsty, or sick is doing these things TO Jesus. Complacency or outright selfishness have the effect of killing Jesus.

Or, how about the disciples in the Garden of Gethsemane? The disciples are holy and devoted followers. But when Jesus asks them to keep watch for just one hour, the disciples fall asleep. "Falling asleep", not paying attention to the call of Jesus,  has the effect of killing Jesus.

Then comes Judas Iscariot, who was the disciple entrusted with their money bag. Judas agrees to signal who Jesus is, to the arresting soldiers, in exchange for 30 silver coins. Greed, putting money over matters of the soul, certainly over Love, has the effect of killing Jesus.

"Many testified falsely against Jesus" -[Mark 14: 56].  Telling lies about Jesus and about who He is -- uttering blasphemy-- has the effect of killing Jesus.

Then, Peter denied Jesus three times - 1) "I don't know or understand what you are talking about." 2) A girl saying, ' This fellow is one of them', and "again [Peter] denied it. 3) "[Peter] swore to them, ' I don't know this man you're talking about.' "  Denying Jesus has the effect of killing Jesus.

"The crowd came up and asked Pilate to do what he usually did. " -[Mark 15: 8].  Pilate "wanted to satisfy the crowd [and] released Barrabas, [in exchange for Jesus.] He had Jesus flogged and handed Him over to be crucified. -[Mark 15: 15].  Going along with the crowd, yielding to popular pressure, passively doing things the "usual way" without regard to Justice, has the effect of killing Jesus.

"They crucified Him. Dividing up His clothes, they cast lots to see what each would get."  -[Mark 15: 24].  Coming to Jesus, only to see what can be selfishly gained from HIM has the effect of killing Jesus.

"They crucified two robbers with Him. Those who passed by hurled insults at him, saying, 'Come down from the cross and save yourself!'  . . The chief priests and the teachers of the law mocked Him among themselves: 'He saved others, but He can't save himself!' " -[Mark 15: 29-31]. Mocking Jesus, manipulating Gospel truth to substantiate one's disbelief, have the effect of killing Jesus.

The Notes to my Study Bible say, "Who was guilty of Jesus' death? In reality, everyone was at fault. The disciples deserted Him in terror. Peter denied that he ever knew Jesus. Judas betrayed Him. The crowds who had followed Him stood by and did nothing. Pilate tried to blame the crowds. The religious leaders actively promoted Jesus' death. The Roman soldiers tortured Him."

Who is responsible for Jesus' death today? Anyone who mocks Him, denies Him, falls asleep despite His call, anyone who follows the mob mentality of the crowd.  Anyone who becomes complacent to the face of Jesus who resides within the lonely, the marginalized, the hungry, the poor or the desperate. Anyone who puts greed and personal gain over the preciousness of the Soul. Anyone who lies or twists the Truth about who Jesus is.

Could Jesus be crucified all over again? I believe that He could . . .

[Related Postings: "Our Own Role in the Passion", 4/10/17; "Why Did Jesus Have to Die?", 8/31/14; "Who Killed Jesus", 5/7/14].

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2018. All Rights Reserved.










No comments:

Post a Comment