Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Spirit Flame



"When the time for Pentecost was fulfilled, they were all in one place together. And suddenly there came from the sky a noise like a strong driving wind, and it filled the entire house in which they were. Then there appeared to them tongues as of fire, which parted and came to rest on each one of them. And they were filled with the Holy Spirit. . ." -[Acts 2:1-11).


Pentecost, Greek for "50th", began as the Israelite Festival of Weeks, the celebration of the spring harvest held 50 days after the offering of firstfruits at Passover. Over time, the Israelite Pentecost became a celebration of the giving of the Law (Ten Commandments) at Sinai.

In the Christian Church, Pentecost celebrates the birth of the church. After Jesus was crucified and died, He came to His disciples in the upper room where stye hid in fear, and He breathed the Spirit on them. Then they were charged with going forth in courage to spread the Word.

Even before His death, Jesus told His disciples, "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the father, and He will give you another Counselor to be with you forever - the Spirit of Truth. I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.  . . He who does not love me will no obey my teaching. I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when He, the Sprit of Truth comes, He will guide you in all Truth. . . -[John 14: 15-18; 16: 12-12].

When a Christian is baptized as a very young child, he or she receives the Holy Spirit within them. When a young person is Confirmed in the church, he or she receives the Completion of the Spirit.

As we walk through life, we are not alone in facing the myriad difficult issues that we encounter. We have a Comforter and Teacher within us, to guide us. Some would say that the Holy Spirit is that soft inner voice within, prompting us to "do the right thing." We can follow that inner voice, or we can defy it.

I grew up in highly dysfunctional home. There was abuse of every kind- physical, emotional, verbal, sexual. Gradually, I shut down, first vowing to show no emotion, then to feel no emotion, then to stop speaking, then eating little and sleeping little.

People are shocked at how I turned out. In my home, there was dissension, drinking, anger, jealousy, strife, physical violence, neglect, rejection, blackmailing, emotional recrimination, abandonment. Obviously, these are not the fruits of the Spirit.

When we receive the Holy Spirit, we receive the inclination towards the Gifts of the Spirit: Wisdom, Understanding, Counsel, Strength, Knowledge, and Awe of the Lord.

As a child, I "knew" in my heart and soul that these were how I was to behave. I wasn't merely trying to be good for the sake of being good. I longed for a life that was NOT filled with violence, rejection, abandonment and hate.

Where my brother hit me, I knitted him a sweater. This was Strength, countering Hate.

Where my mother berated me verbally, calling me a failure and threatening abandonment, I weeded her garden. This was Wisdom, countering rejection.

Where my father drank and abused me, I did chores around the house, such as painting and raking. This was Understanding, countering enmity.

And when I turned 18, I left home for good.

I was a joyful child- I sat in my room and sang songs. I looked forward to the day when I would be safe. I had patience, to make the best of my situation, and to leave peacefully when I could.

I have received the Fruits of the Spirit today: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Generosity, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self-Control.  I am sometimes in awe at how I am able to live my life after my early life.

I have Wisdom and Understanding at what happened to me. I did not deserve what happened but I understand my early life was all about what my parents had to give, not about what I myself lacked.

I have Strength and Knowledge, that I can move into a joyful and fruitful Life.

I have Love now, people who love me, and people whom I can love.

Patience and Kindness and Gentleness are critically important to me, because I know all too well what a lifetime of Hate and cruelty feel like.

I am generous now, because of all the times I was not fed, or not loved, or was judged and rejected.

I am above all Faithful to the God who created me, who protected me and who walks with me.

Happy Pentecost.

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2019. All Rights Reserved.

[Related Posting: "My Pentecost Life", 5/15/16; "Pentecost: The Birth of the Church", 5/24/15; "Healing Gifts", 5/23/12.]






No comments:

Post a Comment