Monday, February 14, 2011

God Is Love

"Dear Friends, Let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. . . . because God is Love. Dear Friends, since God so loved us, we ought also to love one another. No one has ever seen God, but if we love one another, God lives in us." [1 John: 7-12]

I once asked around the family dinner table, "If no one in my childhood ever told me, 'I love you', or hugged me, how can I love everyone so deeply?"

My young son had learned this in his catechism class. He giggled at the thought that Mommy did not know something so simple.  He placed his hand on my heart and said, "Silly Mommy, it's because God is in you!"

Popular psychology says that anyone who has never been loved cannot love others. This implies that Love is taught.

But this Scripture says that the capacity for Love is inside us. AND that we have been endowed with it since birth!

Our Love comes from God. In fact, God IS love. He does not merely teach love, He does not merely model Love, He does not merely command Love. He IS Love.

So often in my life, I have wondered in my dark moments, "Where are you, God?" I have asked myself, Can I just not see Him through the blind fog of my pain, or is He really not there at all?

No one can see God, but He is there, just as surely as we feel Love for our children, our family, our spouses, our friends. And just as surely as they love us.

That inner spring of Love offers us the greatest redemption of all, the possibility of hope and rebirth no matter what our origins or past hurts!

"Love one another deeply, from the heart." [1 Peter 1:22]

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment