Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Light of the World

In Matthew 5: 14, Jesus says, "You are the light of the world."

Read this again. It does not say, Jesus is the light of the world! It says, WE are the light of the world!

Jesus, as Light of the World, is delegating this authority to us. He is making us His disciples, His many "lights of the world."

I wonder, How am I supposed to go about that?

Isaiah 58: 7-9 tells us to "share your food with the hungry, provide the homeless with shelter, clothe the naked and not turn away from your own flesh and blood."

As a child, I have gone to bed hungry. As a child, I have been cold and been denied a sweater.

I have had times of desperation when I was too afraid to sleep alone in my own place, and acquaintances took me in and allowed me to sleep on their couches or on a mattress thrown on a floor.  Not only did they give me a bed, they gave me a meal.

I have been abandoned and rejected and humiliated.

There is no way to repay all those kind human beings, who have helped me on my journey to a better place.

No way, except to be sure that I never do to others what was done to me.

No way, except to resolve to help others as I have been helped.

My friends, this is Spiritual Warfare! The only true way to counter all the darkness in the world is to combat it head-on, with our Light. To be a force of light --- through our love, our patience, our compassion, our peace. 

It is our strategy, in order to banish the darkness!

More than that, it is The Way, the meaning of life. It is Life itself! It brings us out of that dead place, to a place brimming with love and joy!

May I shine forth enough Love to be a light to the world!

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment