Saturday, April 16, 2011

Palm Sunday

"Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, made in human form . . . he humbled himself and became obedient even to the point of death, even death upon a cross." [Phillipians 2: 5-8].

Palm Sunday appears to be so festive. We dress up for church in spring clothes, as if it is Easter already.  Parishioners gather in a great crowd, waving palm fronds, and marching from the church garden or from the parish center, into the sanctuary.

It is a parade-like atmosphere. We recall the crowds lining the road, as Jesus rode his donkey into the City of Jerusalem. There is excitement in the air, but also dread.

Palm Sunday, to me, is like watching a suspenseful film, where the hero enters a very dangerous place. We want to scream, as the plot unfolds, "DON'T go there!!" We know in our hearts what the ending will be. It will be cruel and violent and terribly sad. It will change our lives forever.

Mostly, we cannot see that this transformation can possibly bring any good.  I relate to Jesus as if I were still a child. My sweet, wistful heart does not want him to die and leave this earth. I know that the Holy Spirit is the Wise Counselor who dwells within us, in His stead. SO?! I cry, 'That's not good enough!'

Perhaps it is like going through the stages of grief. Denial = "NO! THIS cannot be!" Or, we bargain with God. "WHY, God?" Why does Jesus have to go there, to suffer? Even anger: "Who were these wrong-headed rabble rousers who could persecute our Lord?"  Or depression: We fall into a black mood, where we see no hope, no light coming from this.

Then, we know the truth. We are filled with the dread of resignation, that Jesus did have a choice. But, He went to the cross despite his free will. He was the epitome of Obedience.

Obedience. That is not a word that we hear much these days. It is old- fashioned. Even nerdy. Who leads a life so simple, so boring, that they aspire to nothing more than to follow God's plan for them?

Even more to the point, who empties himself to God's Will to such an extent that one's service is a true, even painful sacrifice?

I am not anywhere near what Christ was when He went to the cross for me! But I can recognize who I am and how I can be obedient to God's plan for me.

Who am I? First, I am a wife and mother. You could say that is one of my "callings" in life. There are so many things about being a mother that are awesome, joyous, miraculous etc. Intermingled with all that is a lot of pure drudgery: doing laundry, cooking meals, carpooling, etc.

Paul says: "Therefore, my dear friend, as you have always obeyed, continue to work out your salvation [God's plan for you], for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. . . Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God." [Phillippians 2:12-14].

It is amazing to me how, when my motherly duties become an act of Love and Service, even like a Prayer, how truly good and joyous it is to be Obedient to God!

God, You call me to a Holy Purpose! Even in my daily life, I  desire to be obedient to You and to Your Plan for my Life. Help me to see that there is joy in every sacrifice made in being Obedient to You!

[Related Posting: "The Road To Calvary", April 1, 2012.]

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment