Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Pray

"Jesus was led by the Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil. The devil took him to the holy city and had him stand on the highest point of the temple: 'If you are the Son of God,' he said, 'throw yourself down.' Jesus answered him, "It is also written, 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test.' " [Matthew 4:1, 5-7]

During Lent, we Fast, we Pray and we Give.

In this Scripture, we learn that we are not to test God. In other words, we are to Pray and to have faith in God. He will answer us in His own time, and we cannot and should not dictate His response.

Prayer is not a way to control God or His responses to us! Or a path to guarantee a certain result!  It is not an exercise in manipulation : "If you really loved me, God, you would grant me this desire!"

And so, we learn the truth. Prayer can be frustrating. It can be a lonely business, especially if the answers do not come so readily. It may seem like throwing our pain down a dark hole and hoping that the echo of an answer drifts back up.

I never was taught to pray when I was a child. No one ever prayed for me.  Sure, my grandmother taught me to say the Our Father, but it seemed like so many chanted words, like an incantation.

When I decided to convert, the priest told me to spend time every day in prayer and reflection. I thought I had no time for that. Now if I do not spend time with God, I have an untethered and dissatisfied feeling, like I have lost my sense of direction.

It was when I prayed and I began to get answers, that I started to get spooked. I asked for advice and was told, "Oh, you'll get used to it!"

I have found that prayer is a discipline, something I have to do every day and something I can always improve upon. If I get discouraged, I tell myself, it is the Practice of Prayer, a learning process.

I have found that prayer is an act of Love. Think of a time when you felt helpless to make someone's situation better. In those cases, I have offered to pray. I have seen the relief and the gratitude in the suffering person's eyes.  Even if that person was not Catholic, or Christian or even a believer! To pray for someone is an act of incredible tenderness.

I have found that when I know someone is praying for me, simply imagining that person in prayer for me is healing. "Only say the word and I shall be healed!"

I have found that prayer is simply talking to God, when you feel as if no one else in the world could understand you.

I have found that a thought can be a prayer, and you do not even have to be aware that you are asking for something. I have had feelings of deep sadness, perhaps at the death of a dear friend; and God has immediately answered me. He does not even want me to have a sad thought!
I have found that prayer releases me from the prison of thinking that I have to do everything myself! No, I do not have to be all powerful, and I am not alone!

I have found that sometimes when I pray, I do not always get what I want. No, I get something even better, because God truly knows what I need.

Finally, I have found that in really desperate situations, God has literally saved my life. I have been in circumstances where my life was in the balance and I prayed, "God, I have so much to live for and so much more work to do!" And for no earthly reason, the danger ceased and I was protected.

Prayer is not the province of the Desperate, however. It is a practice we must do first, foremost and always.

God, I deeply desire to enter into a conversation with you. I cannot imagine my life without You there with me, every step of the way. In prayer, I seek Your counsel, Your Love,  Your presence, always.

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment