Monday, June 27, 2011

Corpus Christi

"Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. This is the bread that came down from heaven." [John 6: 57-58]

This week we celebrate the Feast of Corpus Christi, the Body of Christ. Catholics believe that the host and the wine are not just the symbol of the body and blood of Christ. We believe that the host and the wine ARE the body and blood of Christ.

It took me most of my life to understand and to embrace this concept!

In my own defense, I was not raised Catholic. In my Protestant church, Communion was a "commemoration" of the Last Supper. We emphasized the part where Jesus says, "Do this in memory of me."

I came from a family who took me to church mostly to meet the Right People. My family wanted me to learn "right from wrong". I suppose any intelligent person could get this in ten minutes merely by reading the Ten Commandments and then throwing in a recitation of, "Love thy neighbor as thyself". So what was I going to church for?

It was not for receiving the Eucharist. Not in my family. Communion was held in my church only once per month. These were the Sundays that my family mostly avoided going to church. I do not know if this was because Communion made the service too long. Or if it was all that kneeling that was required?

So I figure that, since my First Communion occurred when I was 13, and since we stopped going to church when I was 14, and since we avoided Communion Sunday about half the time, I probably received Communion about a dozen times in all.

Then, after my grandmother died when I was fourteen, our family quit going to church. When I would ask why, I was told, 'You are already Confirmed, you don't need to go to church any longer.' (?!!!)

If I wanted any positive proof that God has a sense of humor, I would only have to focus on the fact that I married a Catholic!

For over 20 years, I attended Mass faithfully, but when it came to going up for the Eucharist, I sat on my hands. I did not feel called to convert. Nope, not me!

I thought that I could get full credit as a Christian if I went to Mass faithfully, even if I did not go up for Communion.

Then, my world began to collapse. My father died. My best friend died. My mother became increasingly frail, then terminally ill.  It fell to me to care for her.

I went to my pastor in a panic. "Father", I said, "God is gone!"

First, he advised me to meditate and pray. When he wrote out a Scripture for me to study, I had this image of a doctor writing out a Rx! I wondered if the Scripture could really heal me?

Then, we began working on my conversion. I started to see my goal of receiving the Eucharist as reaching out for some powerful medicine! You see, I finally began to understand that I NEEDED to receive Christ! I NEEDED to be closer to God! I kept "hearing" in my head, "Only say the word, and I shall be healed!"

Did I feel different once I began to receive the Eucharist again? Absolutely I did. Each week, as I head back to my pew, I feel awe, joy, trepidation, peace. I pray that these feelings last with me the entire week.

It is hard for me to understand the person I used to be, the church-goer who used to believe that the Eucharist was optional! I realize now that the Eucharist is the whole reason for Mass. It is medicine, it is taking on the strength of Christ even as He suffered, it is taking on His healing power.

I think of all those times when I suffered a loss, or a crisis in faith, or a deep struggle in life, and even a singular joy in my life. I think of my own wedding, the funeral of my dear mother-in-law, the total joy at the birth of my son -- at none of those times was I able to receive Communion.

I wish I had been converted then. I wish I had those years back in Christ. I wish I had the love, the community, the strength of Christ, the closeness to the Father, via the Eucharist.

And the best part is that no matter where I go in the world, the Eucharist is the same in every Catholic church. As soon as I hear those comforting words inviting all to the sacred meal, I know that I am home. Everywhere I go, I am part of Something, part of a community. Everywhere I go, I am not alone!

How much more precious would the Eucharist be to you if it were taken away? I tell my son about the Irish people, who had to worship in secret when the English outlawed Catholicism. I tell my son that going up to the altar for the Eucharist is an act of affirmation, an act of solidarity with all those who have been persecuted, punished and jailed for receiving the Eucharist. I tell him to go up to the altar for Communion, in order to stand up for all those who fought and died for the right to receive Communion.

Do you think this happened only in the early church? Or only in less enlightened times in the 18th and 19th centuries? No, persecution still occurs today in several parts of the world. In some countries, Christianity is essentially illegal.

God,  may I always remain grateful for the precious gift of the Eucharist! May I always feel Your strength, Your healing powers and Your love when I am in Communion with You!

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment