Monday, December 14, 2015

The Bountiful Table



"The crowds asked John the Baptist, 'What should we do?' He said to them in reply, 'Whoever has two cloaks should share with the person who has none. And whoever has food should do likewise.' Even tax collectors came to be baptized and they said to him, 'Teacher, what should we do?' He answered them, 'Stop collecting more than what is prescribed.' Soldiers also asked him, 'And what is it that we should do?' He told them, 'Do not practice extortion, do not falsely accuse anyone and be satisfied with your wages.' Now the people were filled with expectation, and all were asking in their hearts, whether John might be the Christ. . Exhorting them in many other ways, he preached the good news to the people." --[Luke 3: 10-18].


John the Baptist is known for going around, urging the people to "Prepare the way for the Lord".

This is what we Christians do during Advent-- we prepare for the birth of the Christ child. We may light candles each evening on the Advent wreath. We may pray more frequently or more fervently. We may prepare those special foods in advance of Christmas Day. Or, lift our voices in song as we sing favorite carols.

But there is more to preparation for the Lord than wreaths and prayer. When John the Baptist is asked, "What shall we do?, he replies, essentially, share what you have. Be fair, not greedy. Be satisfied.

This is valuable advice not only during Advent, but for our entire lives!

I remember at one time, when my husband and I had a neighbor who was Italian. This neighbor had a garden the entire width of his back yard. One day, he gave me some eggplant. I told him, 'I don't want your eggplant, I don't know how to cook it.' Not only did he teach me how to cook it, he sent me home with over half of what he had prepared. That night at dinner, my husband and I ate heartily. I saw that this neighbor was the most generous man I had ever met.

A week or so later, he gave me some zucchini. I gave him back some zucchini bread!

I have modeled my life on those exchanges, ever since then!

My son outgrew his down jacket from last year. I donated it to the homeless shelter.

A lady in my church knitting group gave me some yarn. I donated it to the town Senior Center. They gave me back tons of hand-knitted hats, mittens and scarves. I donated those to the shelter, as well. Some baby hats I donated to a mission to Haiti, and other hats to a home for unwed mothers.

I collect tissue paper, ribbons and stickers, so I can gift wrap the knitted items for the shelter residents.

Another lady donated some classical music tapes and CD's. I donated those to the local hospice.

Tucked into a bag of donated hats and mittens, I found a jar of pearl onions (?!) I donated those to the town food bank.

I have become a clearinghouse of items. Much of the time, these are dropped off on a green-painted table on my porch. People know me for the green table, my Table of Bounty.

I have received empty plant pots, destined for the community garden. I have received a big crop of healthful carrots, for a friend who had cancer at the time.

I have shared yummy left-overs with friends on fixed incomes.

Once, I received an uncompleted sweater, just the back of it, with the needles and yarn still attached. I turned it into a lap robe for the hospice!

I have collected blank greeting cards and wall calendars for the homeless shelter. I give gently used toys to the shelter's Family Center. Men's shoes are worth their weight in gold for the men in the shelter. I collect trial-size toiletries from my travels, for the folks who are ready to come in out of the cold.

Once, I received a lighted make-up mirror. I said, "Lord, what am I to do with this?!" It turns out that the shelter was glad to get it, for use in teaching its women residents how to apply make-up for job interviews! Ditto for a wall phone -- I wasn't at all sure why I had been given this, but the shelter was glad to get it!

I have donated unwanted furniture to a shelter for domestic abuse survivors.

I have donated a giant stock- pot to a man who cooks the annual barbecue benefitting the town food pantry.

I donated my mother's career clothes, after her passing, to Dress For Success, an organization that helps women get good jobs.

I am now collecting pocket calendars, to go to a village in Africa, so the villagers can track the rainy season vs. the good planting season. I have received pencils and over-the-counter medications for this village. Tucked into the box with the medications was a pack of disposable diapers. Those I donated to the shelter for unwed teens.

Christian books? --I stock those on the shelves in my church library. Yup! I organized that library. The book shelves are donated, too!

I never know what will show up next on my green table. But, I never turn down a donation. I know by now that what one person does not want, another is delighted to receive.  People who donate, drop off on my green table. People who need items, pick up from my green table.

"Share with the person who has none. Whoever has food should do likewise.  Be satisfied. Stop collecting more than what is prescribed."

Prepare the way for the Lord!

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2015. All Rights Reserved.











No comments:

Post a Comment