Sunday, July 1, 2018

Abundant Generosity



"Brothers and sisters: For you know the gracious act of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, for your sake he became poor, so that by his poverty you might become rich. Not that others should have relief while you are burdened, but that as a matter of equality, your abundance at the present time should supply their needs. Our desire is not that others might be relieved while you are hard pressed. At the present time, your plenty will supply what they need, so that in turn their plenty will supply what you need." -[ 2 Corinthians 8: 7, 9, 13-15].

Several years ago now, I was on vacation with my parents. We were driving along a country road but we had not packed any lunch. By mid-afternoon, we were famished. We stopped at a country market. They sold packaged snacks but no sandwiches or lunch items.

We picked some ice cream bars out of a freezer. When my father went to pay, he was short by a dollar or two. The owner would not take a credit card.

My father said to the proprietor, "Oh well. I am short only a dollar or two, it doesn't matter." Clearly, my father expected to walk away with all of the ice creams, but not pay the full amount. He felt owed.

The proprietor became angry, saying, " It matters plenty to me. Surely, you can see my point of view! If I sold all my goods for a few dollars short, I would be out of business in a short time. I cannot give my goods away."

My father was impeccably dressed. It was obvious that he had plenty of resources. We could have shared fewer ice cream bars and surely not starved before we got home.

I related this story to a wise friend. She said, " Your father showed an abysmal lack of generosity." It was all about his immediate desire for an ice cream. But the proprietor's shop had few customers, it was dusty and poorly lit. Obviously, the shop owner depended on every penny to survive. My father could pay what he owed, or buy fewer treats. His abundance could supply the proprietor's needs.

I grew up in this ungenerous environment. Once, my father went careening back to the store where he had bought a case of sodas. One of the cans for some odd reason was sealed but totally empty. Something had gone awry at the factory. My father chewed out the store clerk: "How dare you sell me an empty soda can?!" The young clerk asked if he wanted a refund? The refund was 10 cents! Ten cents! My father was retired at that point and living an extremely comfortable life. He certainly could afford to lose ten cents. No one was purposely cheating him. Or, he could turn the empty can in for the 10 cent recycling deposit.

I see so much of this ungenerous attitude today. We possess this visceral attitude that somehow the poor are taking from us, when we have so much abundance, what more could we possibly need to buy?

When immigrants come to this country, what are they taking from us? Even with a green card, without citizenship, they cannot vote. Undocumented immigrants cannot receive welfare benefits.  With or without a green card, they don't take our jobs - they perform jobs we largely don't want, such as picking produce, caring for our elderly, or busing our tables in restaurants. Or, they perform jobs where there is a true shortage of American workers, such as doctors, nurses and STEM experts.

By my parents un-generosity, I learned to be generous. I do not begrudge others. I do not hold onto what I have because it is "mine", when others are in need. I do not give, with an agenda in mind, that if I give so much, you must give so much in return.

My father felt "owed", when he had more than he could use. I believe that things have a way of evening out over time. I don't keep score. Sometimes, I am down, and in need. I need to borrow a cup of sugar or an egg. I need your time, to console me or to give me advice. Other times, I am in abundance and I give.

Recently, I told some friends that I had helped a relative with her schooling "because, because . . ." And my friends chimed in, "Because you can."

Yes! I could. So, I did! That is generosity. That is Love.

(c) Spiritual Devotional 2018. All Rights reserved.







No comments:

Post a Comment