Friday, January 7, 2011

The Baptism of The Lord

"John's clothes were made of camel's hair and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey". [Matthew 3:4.]

No doubt today, John would have been considered eccentric at best. Can you imagine how he would be received in contemporary times?! I wonder, Would I be willing to believe and follow such an unconventional character?

And yet, he had success drawing people to be baptized, to cleanse them of their sins. It is the beginning of a ministry for John. In the midst of a baptism, he tells a crowd: "After me will come One who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not fit to carry." [Matthew 3:11].

"Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. But John tried to deter him, saying, 'I need to be baptized by you and yet you come to ME?' ". [Matthew 3:12]

John did baptize Jesus because this was in God's plan; and so, Jesus began His ministry.

John was humble enough to relinquish his ministry to One greater than he was. Jesus was humble enough to be baptized, in order to follow the plan of His Father.

Lord, I pray that I am humble enough to serve you and carry out your plan for me.

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment