Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Power of Friendship

In the news today, Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, shot in the head by a gunman in Tuscon on January 8, 2010, has made remarkable strides. In her hospital room, her husband held her hand. Her friends, two Congresswomen, were visiting her. They encouraged her, 'C'mon, Gabby, you can do this!' They reminisced about going out for pizza together and vacationing in New England last summer.

Gradually, Rep. Giffords opened one eye. Amazed at what they saw, her friends and husband urged her to give them a thumbs up if she understood what they were saying. She lifted her entire arm!

Rep. Giffords' doctor diagnosed this amazing progress as the result of The Power of Friendship.

Or how about Ted Williams, the man with The Golden Voice. The back story on that is that a reporter had seen him on the street, holding a sign. The reporter passed by. But, troubled by what he saw-- and intrigued-- he went back! The reporter downloaded video to YouTube. Now Ted Williams has a place to live, job offers are streaming in and he is getting the help he needs for substance abuse.

I come from a dysfunctional family. How many times have I felt alone and in despair?!!!

When I was away at school, I was the victim of a horrendous crime. I almost died that day, but for whatever reason, I am still here!

I had no family helping me to recover from my wounds and get the help I so desperately needed. I cried out to God, "I will never again trust human beings! The only Person in my life is You!" Soon I got my answer to this plea. My classmates mobilized to help. I slept on their couches or on mattresses thrown on the floor. They gave me meals and shared their class notes. I graduated top half of my class! God would not let me be alone. He would not let me fail.

When I moved into my current neighborhood, a neighbor would say hello to me every day when she saw me. I was shy and deeply wounded from my past traumas. It had become far safer for me to be invisible. Who WAS this woman and why was she bothering me?! I barely acknowledged her. I wasn't being rude. I was scared.

But she persisted and finally I said hello back. She is now one of my best friends. She would not give up on me.

This is the Power of Friendship, the power to transform others, to save others. Really, this is the Power of Love.

What does it take to tap into this Power? Start by saying hello. . . .

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment