Monday, May 16, 2011

His Flock

"I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me. . . .and I lay my life down for the sheep. I have other sheep that are not of the sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice and there shall be one flock and one shepherd." [John 10: 14-16].

When I was a child, I did not know who I belonged to. It did not seem that I belonged to anyone.

I was told that I was English. True, I was partly English, but the Irish part seems to have been swept under the rug. I was taken to church long enough for Baptism, Sunday School and First Communion, then that "church thing" quietly stopped.

I was not taught that I was Irish. Or that I had Catholic roots.

We seemed to have few or no relatives.  Some relatives lived in another part of the state. Other relatives lived in another state entirely, hours away. Other relatives lived in another country altogether.

I had a brother, but we fought a lot. I did not call him "friend."

We had neighbors that we were not especially close to.

I was teased and bullied, most of  the time for things I could not help, for the shape of my nose, my God-given intelligence, what my grandfather did for a living.

Was it any wonder that I hid in my room, making my homework perfect, reading anything I could get my hands on, even the dictionary? Was it any wonder that in my neighborhood and at school, I became a silent observer of everything around me?

I became alienated, alone. I did not even know who I was.

As humans, we long to belong -- to something, to Someone!

This Reading tells us that we do belong-- to a great flock called Christians. And our shepherd is Jesus. We are called Brothers and Sisters in Christ!

How many times in the last few years have I felt relief and joy in finally belonging to Someone. I finally know who I am. I have a flock. A clan.

This reading says that we are one flock. This was Jesus' intent. Today, are we still one unified flock?  Or, do we hang back, split hairs over denominations, cast aspersions on Christians who are "different" from ourselves?

I wonder at the Christians who huddle together as Catholics, but do not pay any attention to "the other sheep" that are not from this sheep pen. Do you pray with, or gather in community with other Christians of different denominations? Do you consider them all part of one flock, one shepherd?

I wonder at Catholics who grumble about the priests coming to this country from abroad. Do we not need more shepherds of Christ who will lead us with integrity, compassion and joy-- and do we not celebrate those priests no matter what part of the globe they come from?

I wonder at Catholics who whisper that most of the growth in our church comes from immigrants, as if these Christian brothers and sisters are lesser members of the flock?!

I wonder at Catholics who are almost ashamed of who they are. Who want to go under the radar. Who do not come to Mass regularly, to simply be with their Christian family.

I grew up isolated. I had no close relatives. I had faraway relatives whose names or addresses I did not even know; I had no accurate ethnic history, no religion, no sacred rituals, no personal context.

How huge it is to gain a Family, simply by calling myself Christian and by following Christ!

I have no family of origin around me, yet in a way this is strangely freeing. If no one is my family, then everyone can be my brothers and sisters in Christ! I think in a way, this is what Jesus meant when he told his disciples to leave their families, and to follow Him.

I pray that as Christians, we never take the sacred gift of our spiritual ties for granted. Jesus is our shepherd and He makes us who we are, one Family! In following His voice, may we find each other.

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment