Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

Memorial Day began after the Civil War, when Americans decorated the graves of deceased veterans. It used to be called Decoration Day.

On Memorial Day, I think of my own grandfather, who served in WWI. So many of us have relatives who served in wars past, or who are serving now.

I went to Mass today to honor my grandfather, to say thanks for his guts, his bravery, his strength. I also pray for a relative of mine who has served in Afghanistan.

Then, I think of the War on Terror. The killing of Osama bin laden.

We study history and we pore over descriptions of battles past. We ask questions like, "Who won the war?"

On this Memorial Day, I will say something that is perhaps radical:

In war, there are no winners.

Think of 9/11. The victims who died that day paid with their lives. What tragedy.  Their families lost precious loved ones. What tremendous sorrow. Recently Osama bin laden paid with his life. His death will not bring back the victims.

No, war produces no winners.

I hate war!  Call me a child, but I hate war!

Call me naive, but don't you wish that our troops could be peacekeeping troops, not troops called to war?

Lord, let peace reign.

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2011. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment