Thursday, January 5, 2012

My Year in Words

" Only say the word and I shall be healed."

In the beginning, in my childhood, my home was an upside down and backwards place. The people who were supposed to feed me, did not. The people who were supposed to put me into my bed for naps, did not. The people who were supposed to keep me warm, did not give me a sweater.

Every day, I was called ugly. Sometimes I was hit. There were not proper boundaries between adults and children. I began to wonder who I really was?

At age ten, I took a vow of silence. There was nothing wrong with my voice. I simple decided to stop speaking.

This silence was an act of defiance. This vow said, "If you treat me this way, you cannot have me. I do not give myself to you. I am 'going away' ". So I retreated into myself.

This silence was an act of self-defense. I thought that if I ceased speaking, no one would notice me and They would leave me alone.

This silence lasted for years because for years, my situation did not change.

I did not become frozen in my verbal development, however. I would sit in my room and read and read and read. I read books from the library, I read the back of the cereal box, I read my brother's (boring) science magazines, I even read the dictionary. Today, I talk in a very "bookish manner" but I do speak.

On January 5, 2011, I started writing this blog. I did it on sort of a dare. I did it because I was kind of down and listless after Christmas. My husband said, "What you need is a blog!"

I went upstairs to our computer and twenty minutes later, Spiritual Devotional was born.

I have been astonished at the response -- and all on word of mouth. I have been read in 6 continents and in over 40 different countries. That's North America, the Caribbean, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Africa, India, Asia, Australia and New Zealand. Every time I think that I cannot gain a reader in another country, I do.

When I stopped speaking, I gave up on humans. You could also say that I gave up on myself.

So it is a miracle that I am speaking again. It is an even bigger miracle that I am speaking to the whole world.

I really do not think that my story is that compelling. O is it my writing? What does the world see in me?

I believe that it is a spiritual hunger, the world wide over. I have prayed that the Holy Spirit will help me to write inspiring words. I have prayed to reach whoever needs to hear a message of hope. I have prayed that my blog will begin a world-wide conversation on the deeper questions of life.

This is, indeed, happening. You are asking how to be happy, how to face the sin we encounter every day, how to accept God in your life, how to forgive.

I do not have all the answers. I seek only to tell my story and I hope that it helps another soul who is struggling, as I am.

Who am I? I choose not to give my name. This gives me the freedom and the privacy to speak. But more than that, this blog tells a story, not so much about me, but about God and the universal human condition. It does not matter who I am. I am not trying to glorify myself. That status belongs to God.

Some would say that I am a Prophet. Well, Jesus calls all of us to be prophets-- to speak the Word to others, in order to make the world a better place. My aim is only to tell the Truth. I was told a lot of lies when I was a child. I am now a Truth Seeker. I want to share the truths I have found.

You notice that there are no ads on my blog. That is intentional. This is a ministry, and I want it to be a sacred, meditational space, a refuge from the clutter of our modern lives.

I respect my readers' privacy as well. I do not publish stat's on traffic sources, countries of origin etc.

Some have criticized my blog as not being a valid substitute for attending church or receiving the Sacraments, or being in community with other people of faith. I totally agree! This space is only a point of access to your faith and your spirituality. If my writing inspires you to meditate and pray, to attend church, or help a neighbor, to talk to your pastor, or or reflect on what your life is all about, then the Holy Spirit has done its job!


I publish a posting twice a week, once over the weekend based on Sunday's readings; and once during mid-week on various other topics of interest. I tend to follow a theme for each month. For example, Love in February, Lent in March etc. During July and August, I publish only once per week. I liberally reference Scripture chapter and verse to make it easier for you to transform each posting into a simple Bible study.

What does the future hold? I am thinking about maybe an app someday? Or a Podcast? Or even a devotional book for each liturgical year?  Right now, for me, the best place to be is fully in the present. The past is something that I cannot change, the future is something I cannot worry about. So regarding all these future ideas, I say, God will bring me to where He chooses me to go!

Dear Friends, thank you for your readership. Thank you for your faith. If you enjoy reading my blog, pass the link along!

It has been a great year, in word, AND indeed!

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2012. All Rights Reserved.





This vow of silence

No comments:

Post a Comment