Monday, January 2, 2012

Solemnity of Mary

" There were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said, to them,' Do not be afraid. I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all the people. . . . Today in the town of David, a Savior has been born to you; He is Christ the Lord.' When the angels had left them, the shepherds said to one another, 'Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.' So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph and the baby, who was lying in the manger. . . . They spread the word concerning what was told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed. But Mary treasured these things, reflecting upon them in her heart." [Luke 2: 8-19].

January 1 is the Feast of the Solemnity of the Blessed Virgin Mary, The Mother of God.  How fitting that we should honor Mary with this day, in the midst of the Christmas season!

Mary has been honored with many names. Her name, Mary, means, "Star of the Sea", for she resembles to us a bright beacon of light in dark stormy seas. She has also been called Our Blessed Mother; Madonna or Our Lady; Mother of Mercy [Salve Regina]; Virgin Mother; Mother of God (as Jesus is God in human form); Queen of Peace; Treasure of the Lord; Holy Vessel; and Virgin Mary.

Catholics, somewhat erroneously, pray to Her. In reality, prayers to Mary are considered to be our supplications that Mary pray FOR us. As the Mother of God, she is imbued, we believe, with the power to intercede with God on our behalf.

Clearly, Mary is a compelling, and even a mysterious, figure. Maybe she fascinates us so much because relatively little is known about her. After all, Jesus has the entire Bible devoted to him and his teachings. Mary is steadfastly there, throughout the story of His life, a faithful, beautiful, holy, devoted Mother.

On this, Mary's Feast Day, I wonder who she really was? I reflect upon what Mary really means to me and to my life.


We know that Mary was young and pure when Jesus was born. Historians believe that, consistent with the times, Mary was probably about 14, uneducated, a simple peasant girl. When I think of Jesus' birth, I wonder at how it must have been for Mary to give birth in a stable? But, I do not despair of her lowly origins or her humble story! In fact, I admire her even more for this. Mary's life teaches me that God does not choose only the prominent, the wealthy and the well-connected, as his beloved servants. When I see how God moved in Mary's life, I feel that  there is hope for me!  I am a mother, a simple human being, a "Nobody"; but if God can choose Mary, He can choose any of us!

Mary was human, not part divine like her Son, Jesus. She was chosen by God, but she possessed no miraculous powers. She was a mother above all. She desired merely to raise her Son in God's peaceful, humble, gentle ways. Jesus, of course, changed the world! Mary, in her own way, changed the world, as well. Mothers can change the world, in the ways in which they raise their children. I am so drawn to that experience of motherhood! The world wants to denigrate and devalue motherhood. Mary teaches otherwise!

In this way, Mary is a beacon of Motherhood. To follow Jesus as a Christian, I sometimes fail miserably. Then I get upset with myself. I ask myself, 'Who am I to try to follow Jesus, one who is part divine?"  I fall down in my Christian journey, then I get up and I keep trying; and I hope that God loves me for that. But Mary is one I can turn to over and over again, because she is a mother and fully human, just as I am.

God knows me as a mother and He knows that I need Him every day if I am going to be a good mother. But in choosing Mary, God shows us that He needs us humans in order to carry out His plan. I may feel much less than worthy every day of my life, but knowing that God needs me, I am much more eager to rise to His call with grace and eagerness.

A mothers' walk is a difficult and fearsome journey. Mary felt fear, even before her journey as the Mother of God began. When the angel Gabriel came to her, to announce that she would bear the Son of God, Mary was afraid. How I want to emulate Mary in this instance because, no matter how terrified she was, she said, ' Yes!' to God!  Courage is not lack of fear. Courage is feeling fear and doing it anyway. Many days, I begin and end my prayers with, "Here I am Lord. Let me do what You will!"  In this way, I want to follow in Mary's journey. This means that sometimes, God's path is not at all what I had in mind. Oftentimes, to follow God's plan for me, I may be afraid, but I will myself to follow His call anyway.


How in the world did Mary obey God in this way? Well, she was totally open to God and His will. In Luke 1: 26-38, Mary replies to Gabriel, "Let it be done to me according to your word." Perhaps in these modern times, we would say that Mary is too subservient here. We would say that she is not being proactive in setting her goals for herself, or thinking creatively about her life. For me, what I see in Mary here is the guts to become an open and Holy Vessel to God's plan for her. How many of us have the courage to open ourselves totally to God in that way?

And in saying yes to God, her One True God, Mary defied the rule of Rome. How important it is as a mother to have the courage to "defy Rome"-- to go against what is popular or convenient at the time, and to stand for what is just and right! For if mothers do not stand against the materialistic, selfish, superficial ways of the world, their children will all too easily lose sight of God.

Mary raised Jesus but then she had to let him go into the world.. When Jesus was 12, he and his parents went to Jerusalem for the Feast of Passover. His parents left after the Feast, thinking he was with them. When they realized he was not with them, they spent 3 frantic days looking for him. They found him in the Temple, talking with the priests. When they told him that they had been looking for him, he said, "Why. . . .? Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's  House?"


Then, when he was an adult, she watched, heartbreakingly, as he was crucified. She had to witness his suffering and let Him return to God. As a mother, I want to raise my son at home, but then, I pray that I may be loving enough to give him to the world. My son is merely one whom I raise, and whom I borrow for awhile. But he is his own person, belonging ultimately to God, even from his birth.  Can I be so loving as to let him go, when it is time? And when I do let my son go, I pray that I may be humble enough to give him credit for his gifts, which are his, from God, and are not my gifts.

I wonder, how could Mary let go? I believe that she had to trust God! My own faith in God falters sometimes. I am only human. In the darkest of times, I wonder if God is still there and if all the traumas and deep pain I face could really be part of His plan for me? Mary had that faith and trust. Oh, that I had that faith and trust in abundance as she had!

But what I love most about Mary is how, in the Scripture quoted above, she is said to "treasure these things, reflecting upon them in her heart." I never want to become jaded by all the miraculous things in my life that God has to offer. Like Mary, I want to reflect upon all the instances of God's glory in my life: my major breakthroughs in faith, but also those tiny moments during the day when I can feel God's presence. I can treasure these things only if, like Mary, I spend time in reflection, treasuring the small but sacred moments in my day. This requires me to slow down!

God, You sent Mary into the world to become a Mother to us all!

(c) The Spiritual Devotional 2012. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment